I had some lovely tart Granny Smith apples lying around in the fridge so was itching to use them in a bake… Pie was done and eaten sometime back so thought of trying something new. So, here is the no fail recipe for apple cinnamon cake.
Dry Ingredients –
1 1/2 cups or 180 gms all-purpose flour
1/3 cup brown sugar or jaggery powder
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon or all spice mix
2/3 cup or 110 gms castor sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
Wet ingredients –
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup warm milk
Few drops of lemon juice – optional
1 apple or approx 1 1/2 cup peeled and chopped apple, depending on your taste
1. Grease and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
2. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
3. Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl. I used jaggery instead of brown sugar and put few drops of lemon juice.
4. Beat castor sugar and butter together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Incorporate 1 egg at a time and add vanilla.
5. Sift flour and baking powder together in a bowl. Mix it into creamed butter mixture. Add milk into batter until smooth consistency is achieved.
6. Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan; add apple mixture. Lightly pat apple mixture into batter. Pour the remaining batter over apple layer; top with remaining apples and brown sugar mixture.
7. Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
8. Enjoy with a cup of coffee or a scoop of ice cream.